Friday, August 1, 2014

The beauty of ordinary days


I don't have anything exciting to say here on this blog at present.  Our days are pretty ordinary in  comparison to most people.  We are at home with occasional trips out and about. But the beauty of these ordinary days comes not in the rhythm or routine (though I hope we get there someday) but in the ever changing, ever surprising things I learn from mothering these sweet girls.  Not only do their first smiles and laughs make my day beautiful but they themselves are part of my sanctification.  Potty training makes me laugh it is so ridiculous sometimes. Four cats, two adults and two under two create an amazing amount of noise, mess and stress.  The laundry is really like a mountain that grows overnight and my once ordered house erupts into chaos in a matter of seconds.  For a person who thrives on order, routine, beauty and quiet mothering has turned my world upside down.  And it is good. It might be harder than writing my thesis, or preparing for any recital or audition.  But it is more beautiful in it's "ordinary-ness" than anything else I have ever known.  It is perhaps in the difficulty of parenting, in the I'm so tired the baby cried for 11 hours moments that the beauty is most evident. This is because it mirrors (imperfectly of course) God's Fatherly care for us. There is a liturgy to my ordinary days that comes from the lessons of life God teaches through children.  I am thankful for the beauty of these ordinary days and for the things we are learning together.




Lena and her buddy Trinity- born 4 days before her



New homemade curtains- yeah!! 









a sweet new blanket from Aunt Megan



No comments:

Post a Comment