Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Happy Birthday Mom

Dear Mom,

Today would have been your 63rd birthday. It seems almost silly to think of birthdays in the perspective of eternity. For your joy and celebrations now are beyond anything I could've wanted for you here.  But still, I think of you as I do each day and rejoice in you, remembering and wanting to tell you so many things.  I wonder if you know that your second granddaughter is due the day you went to heaven, or that all three of your grandchildren have your blue eyes.  I wonder if you know I still can't fold sheets or sew or knit properly. I can't duplicate your iced tea, potato salad or coleslaw.  Jam season is coming and I think of picking together on my birthday. I think of you when I read nursery rhymes to Emmie, when I sing to her as you did to me. I think of you as I teach her about Jesus, and show her the flowers by name.  I think of your gentle heart and listening ears, of your love of the beautiful and true. I think of you as I stay up reading late (my fellow night owl), when I drink my tea and when I work on my research.  Dearest Mom, I will love you always. Happy Birthday.







2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful remembrance! How blessed we are even to have known your mom for even a short time. Lots of Emmie B. in that wonderful birthday photo. Thanks. The memories are precious and God lets us have them for our good. XOXO, Oma and Opa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jenny, I have only recently begun to follow your blog and I'm so thankful for it. I like hearing about little things in your life that matter the most. and I thought it was Emmie in the picture with your mom and dad! So happy for Emmie- she will grow up to be just as beautiful as you :)
    Much love, Hye-Jin

    ReplyDelete