Monday, April 16, 2012

A cross stitch beyond time

April 16, 2012- on your birthday

My dear Mother,
It is a beautiful day today- the fourth birthday I think of you in eternity and yet celebrate your birth
here, born to be so many things to so many; to be my Mother and friend.
Today I want to tell you that I am learning a lesson you taught me years ago. I am learning to cross stitch, finishing the piece you began, carrying on your colors of green, pink and red.  I was not always so willing as a girl- impatient with the patience you showed me was needed to create such beauty, and so for years I did not sew. I did not cross stitch. But as the days and months to this date in 2012 have gathered and bloomed I see that your lesson of cross stitch is a lesson of love I will sew on all my life.  Cross stitch was to you a picture of the patient walk of faith, the trust that the colors jumbled on the back of the cloth would come out beautiful on the other side.  You showed me the lesson of the needle and thread every day of your beautiful life, but only now do I truly see and rejoice! You began this work during your illness and I was afraid to pick it up, to learn without you how to put the needle in, make an x and pull it out.  As you can see, I have a long way to go. But I am busy about it Mom, trusting as you did in a perfect Savior to create beauty that is this gift of life from the twisted threads on the back.  
Happy Birthday. I will love you forever, my dearest Mother and friend. 










1 comment:

  1. Oh Jenny - so beautiful. I love the photo of you and your Mom. :) Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete