Saturday, September 10, 2011

A new friday tradition: Where's your foot?

Many of you have probably heard about or even participated in a relatively recent blogging tradition called "This Moment," in which people post a picture every Friday, unaccompanied by text. You can see such a post here, here, or here, for instance.

I have decided to start my own tradition, with a slightly less poetic title: "Where's your foot?"

Every Friday, sometime around 9 AM, I will take a picture of my right foot, and write a bit about why it's there.

I actually took my first picture for this purpose back on the last Friday in July, but lost my nerve about posting and committing myself to a weekly tradition like this. I invite you to answer this question for yourself, either once, or weekly.

Where's your foot?

Friday, 29 July 11
08:50


The Perkiomen Trail, about half a mile from Wm. Rahner Memorial Park, where I usually get on the trail. I often don't work on Fridays in order to spend the day researching and writing my dissertation. And, in fact, as of the end of May, I no longer had a "day job," so my schedule was even more flexible. Over the summer I often found myself on the trail (Isn't it sort of sad to speak of the Summer in past tense?), and off the trail, taking many detours through the woods. I ride one of these (don't pay any attention to the price, as I bought mine very used), which are most definitely intended for rough terrain. Riding is, by far, my favorite form of exercise. Mountain Biking would be my second or third choice of impossible dream-full-time-jobs, after playing the organ, and possibly cooking.

Where's your foot?

9 Sept 11
09:30

Yes, those are wood shavings; Poplar, to be exact. Liriodendron tulipifera, to be more exact. And that is also the base of a drill press. Because at 09:30 on a Friday I was at work; building pipe organs, to be exact. I won't be more exact about where, just yet, as we are in a temporary-to-permanent, try-each-other-out sort of arrangement at present. Your prayers in this area are most definitely welcome.

In case you didn't know already, I am a direct descendent of four generations of pipe organ builders:

Johan Jacob Dieffenbach (1744-1803)
Christian Dieffenbach (1769-1829)
David Dieffenbach (1798-1872)
Thomas Dieffenbach (1821-1900) - this one is actually my great, great, great uncle, so it would, perhaps, be more accurate to say I'm a direct descendent of three generations of pipe organ builders. Oh, well, you can't have everything.

I'll post some more about that some other time, but for now, at least you know where my foot was.

a

1 comment:

  1. Hey - nice foot! I've been waiting for it to be somewhere else but I know you have been way occupied with other things. The slide shows are really neat! My right foot stepped into about 3 inches of water on the patio after a deluge yesterday that sent a load of mulch into the patio drain. Fun! Woofie was very confused. TTFN! XOXO, love momandad

    ReplyDelete